As summer camp approaches, we will post our weekly availability. Please check this page before trying to register to make sure that there is room in your desired week.
Summer Camp Information
- Greenbelt Summer Camps are one-week day camps, suitable for children from 5 to 14 years old.
- Camp is open on weeks that include Canada Day and the August Civic holiday. Please tell us whether your child will attend. Your weekly rate will be reduced by 1/5
- Riders range from absolute beginners to competing jumpers.
- Camp runs from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, with early drop-off and late pickup available at cost.
- Early drop off: 8:00AM to 8:50AM
- Late pickup: 4:15PM to 5:00PM
- An additional charge of $5.00 applies for every 10 minutes after 5:00PM.
- Helmet and boots can be rented for a weekly fee.
- No refunds are given unless a replacement camper can be found.
Our 1-Week Programs
Riding Camps are sorted into three programs that group together children by age and riding experience all at the same price of $425. Find the program that best matches your child.
- Tiny Hooves ( 5 and 6 years, new or semi-beginner )
- Pasture Pals (7 years and up, new or semi-beginner)
- Hoofbeats ( 7 years and up, with minimum of 1 session of previous riding experience, able to walk, trot and learning to canter)
Typical Daily Schedule
- Morning: Riding instruction (1 1/2 hour riding plus tacking up).
- Lunch & Recreation:
- Horse Care Lessons: Caring for Tack and Saddle Fitting, Basic Horse Confirmation, Basic Horse Health, Wrapping Legs, Braiding for Competitions, Mucking a Stall, Telling the Age of a Horse,
- Horsey” Arts and crafts include painting live ponies and making “horse cookies”
- Being on a farm is about being outdoors: Catch a frog, run through a sprinkler, feed a horse, kick a ball.
- Afternoon: In the afternoon, another 1 1/2 hour of riding using races and games on horseback, bareback riding, and cowboy magic for ground work where you learn what it takes for a horse to respond to you.
Jumping Camps for Qualified Riders
- Beginner Jumper (Any age, able to turn while cantering ) $475
- Special Jumper Camp (Any age, able to jump 2’6″ – Low enrollment) $600
- Extensive training (4 hours) +1 hour bareback. Includes flat work, conditioning and jumping practice
- Learning to braid and prepare for a competition.
- Included: Participation in one horse show (horse transportation + coaching included in the camp price)
- Must be an OEF member to compete.
- Optional: 4-day Program for $120 per day.
- Competing Hunter/Jumper (Any age, must qualify): extensive training, small groups, 4 hours of training plus 1 hour bareback.
What to Bring
- Riding apparel:
- CSA-approved riding helmet (can be rented). Bicycle helmets are not permitted.
- Safe riding boots (can be rented). A small heel with small tread keeps the rider safe. Running shoes slip and let the foot get caught in the stirrups. Hiking boots with large tread get stuck in the stirrups.
- Long pants for riding. Bring along shorts to change into after riding.
- Swim wear for water games at the end of the day.
- Change of summer clothes – Children may get wet while bathing the horses or during water games.
- Lunch and snacks – we are a garbage-free zone, anything non-recyclable must be taken home!
- No peanuts are allowed at Greenbelt because of allergies
- Sunscreen, hat, rain gear.
We welcome any rider with special needs as long as we can ensure their safety and the safety of others. We require advance notice to be given at the time of registration. If a special need is discovered during camp, the parents may be asked to pick up their child. We are not a therapeutic camp and we cannot have more then one child per week with special needs. Thank you for your understanding.
Registration and Payment Information
OPTION 1: Register online
OPTION 2: Register in person or by mail using paper copies of the registration form & waiver, with cheque or cash
- Our address is Greenbelt Riding School, 3960 Albion Road, Ottawa, K1T 1B4
- Please make out the cheque to WALTER KAHRER.
- Form : Word version
- If you cannot print the documents at home, you are welcome to drop by our office where we have printed copies available
To hold your spot, we require payment to be received.